I mentioned in a previous post that I've sold a couple wicker Eiffel Tower lamps since I've been buying and selling antiques, and that I'm always on the lookout for more. I also mentioned that I had an Eiffel Tower base in my basement, but no shade. That got the ball rolling, and prompted me to take another look at what I had. Well, it wasn't a true Eiffel Tower base, but it was still a nice looking white wicker floor lamp base, and I decided I shouldn't allow it to moulder away in the basement any longer.
The shade that came with the wicker base when I purchased it three years ago was just a silk shade with long fringe, and definitely not original to the piece. That's why the base was stuffed in my basement. I was hoping to find a wicker shade so I could "marry" them together and sell them. But now that three years have gone by, I decided to put "Plan B" into action! I always have a Plan B....
I had envisioned covering the large lampshade with silk flowers (Plan B). I've done this with smaller shades and really liked how they turned out. So over the last year or so, I've been picking up silk flowers at garage sales and from bargain bins for my flower-covered shade.
If you want to try a similar project, this is how to do it. First, get a pair of wire cutters and clip the stems off your flowers near the head:
Take the flower apart and remove the plastic spacers in between the petals. I do this so I can divide some of the larger flowers into two or three flatter flowers. You get more bang for your buck this way from the really large blossoms. With smaller blossoms, like daisies, you won't need to divide them:
Reassemble the new flowers and hot glue them together, adding a center back in. With the additional flowers, you'll need to grab centers from ugly flowers that you aren't using in your project. Usually there are a few flowers in a bunch that are worth sacrificing for their centers.
Next, simply start hot gluing your flowers all over your lampshade. I started with the largest flowers and worked my way to the smallest.
I decided to leave a few roses whole, and glued them on the shade for some height here and there. Then I filled in all the gaps around the edges with leaves, but not too many. It's just a matter of personal preference. You might decide not to have any leaves. It's all up to you!
I didn't like all the white fringe, so I scrounged up some pretty pink trim in my hoard/stash:
I think the pink trim adds a little more color around the edge of the shade so the white fringe isn't so dominant:
And here's my finished "Garden Lamp":
While I was taking these photos, a bee landed on the shade. I'm going to take that as a compliment!